Nabo works best when all members of your suburb are active on the site and create and contribute to conversations. However, you might feel a little unsure how to begin.
Here are some helpful suggestions on what you can post in your neighbourhood:
1. Get to know your neighbours:
- Introduce yourself to your neighbours - share a bit about yourself, when you moved to the area and what you enjoy the most there
- Share your interests to find like-minded neighbours - Make sure you've added your interests to your profile too!
- Post some useful information to help others take advantage of your local knowledge.
- See if your neighbours want to meet for coffee or a neighbourhood BBQ
2. Share and ask for local recommendations:
- Used a great tradie or local service recently? Share it with your neighbours.
- Looking for a great local service? Maybe a new hairdresser or good cake shop? Ask your neighbours for a recommendation.
- Popular recommendations include: Doctors, Dentists, Handymen, Cleaners, Restaurants, Cafes, Dog parks, Coffee and Take-away shops.
3. Buy, sell, giveaway and trade in the Classifieds:
- Post an item For Sale
- Giveaway an unwanted item in Free to a Good Home
- Need a new couch or to rent a parking spot? Ask for one from your neighbours in the Wanted section
- Popular items sold and given away: Lounges, bookcases, dining tables and chairs, fridges, small kitchen appliances, gardening tools, kids clothes and toys, books and dvds, and pet-related items.
4. Share crime and safety updates:
- Post helpful information such as contact details for local police and other emergency services; or other online crime and safety websites to the Crime and Safety section of your suburb.
- Seen something suspicious? Post to warn your neighbours.
- Is there a Neighbourhood Watch in your suburb? Post and see if your neighbours want to start one.
5. Raise and discuss local issues:
- Roadworks getting you down? Discuss the issue with your neighbours.
- Noisy neighbours? Ask other neighbours for advice on how to handle the situation.
- Want to raise an issue with council but not sure how? Ask your neighbours for help.
- Raise a local issue with your neighbours and see if they feel the same.
- What would you improve in your suburb? See if your neighbours have the same opinion.
6. Share local photos and information:
- Share photos of your neighbourhood
- Build up the local knowledge of other residents by adding areas of interest, historical details of your neighbourhood, lists of famous people from your area in your suburb’s about page. You could also ask other members to add their knowledge and improve this area as an ongoing project.
7. Share events
- Nabo has lots of local events from markets to fitness and comedy. Why not share an event and make sure your neighbours know it's on?